Marketing today is not the same as how it used to be a few years ago, especially for auto repair shops where the industry has become increasingly competitive. These days you need to have a plan that packs a punch – and here’s how you do it:
- Understand what you want and set objectives: By defining your business’ overall objectives, you’ll have a clear idea of how the mission will fit into the overall digital marketing strategy. Ask yourself, “What is the one objective you want your digital marketing efforts to succeed in?” then get more specific with your KPI’s and measure them.
- Analyze past marketing strategies: Going backwards to see what worked and what didn’t can help you set relevant and actionable KPI’s for your auto repair shop. As you do this, it also helps to analyze what your competitor’s marketing strategies are. Create a spreadsheet of their online activities, what keywords they’re using, organic vs. paid traffic, etc. and see if there’s anything they’re doing right that you can implement in your own plan.
- Speak the language of your customers: It gets too easy to take the planning away from the very customers you’re trying to reach. Since you already know who your audience is, or should have an idea, put them at the heart of your overall digital marketing strategy so that you can craft content and campaigns that satisfy their needs and cater to their emotions. One way you can do this is by developing a helpful persona online by analyzing all the demographic information you can, then dig deeper to see what problems you can help solve.
- Identify your resources and budget – then stick with it: Understanding what resources are available to you, together with the budget, is crucial in determining what digital marketing channels may be best suited for your objectives. This is a good time to work on an audit of the various digital services that are currently being used to determine which of them are most effective and actually resulting in a good ROI. Work with your budget to see if you can outsource certain areas of your digital marketing, or if you can afford to hire someone to specialize in taking over a specific task.
- Work on the strategy: Now you can craft a digital marketing strategy based on useful and insightful feedback from your analyses. While this still isn’t a guarantee how exactly your customers will respond, it will be crucial for you to continue measuring and monitoring the performance of your strategy and adjust when needed. Weekly, monthly, and quarterly reviews of your digital marketing strategy are recommended in order to easily isolate factors and KPI’s that may not be working, which can then be tweaked for further experimentation until you find the right mix for your business.
These simple tactics, together with a kick-ass website and well-developed content, can help you rise above your competitors.